Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Mason's Birth Story--9 Months Later

I've never been a big fan about writing down birth stories, but as our little Mason gets older so does the memory of when he was born.  I decided to write down the story of our little Mason being born so I can always remember it. 
At 20 weeks, on April 30, 2012, we found out that we were having a baby boy.  I thought for  sure I was going to have a girl, so when we found out it was a boy we were so surprised and shocked.  We had fun telling our families that we were having a baby boy by decorating sugar cookies with blue frosting. 
I had a doctors appointment the following Monday.  I was excited to hear the doctors report on the ultra sounds that were taken just a week prior.  He said everything looked great, but that baby was measuring about 3-4 weeks smaller then where he should be. Another follow-up ultra sound would be needed around 28 weeks. 
At 28 weeks we went in for our follow-up ultra sound.  We were happy to hear that we were still having a boy, but again he was measuring now close to 4-5 weeks smaller then where he should be.  With a little concern from my doctor, he decided to send me to an Perinatologist at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center.  My doctor said the Perinatologist would be able to do a more intensive ultra sound to make sure that everything was okay with our little baby. 
At 32 weeks I was scheduled for an ultra sound with the Perinatologist.  After a more intensive ultra sound, they still came to the conclusion that baby was still measuring 3-4 weeks off, everything else looked good in the ultra sound besides baby's size.  The Perinatologist reviewed the due date with me and after much debating, decided to keep my due date at September 16, 2012. 
At 34 weeks I had another appointment with my doctor.  He said that I was still measuring between 3-5 weeks small and his concern lead to his decision to have a non-stress test performed on the baby once a week until the baby arrived along with another ultra sound with the Perinatologist at 38 weeks.  Starting at 34 weeks I began having a non-stress test once a week. 
At 38 weeks I had my final ultra sound.  The baby was still measuring 3-5 weeks small, but the Perinatologist had very little concern considering all the tests they had done before.  He continued to say that babies come in all shapes and sizes and this baby was just going to be smaller than others.  I continued with the non-stress tests up until my due date. 
At 39 weeks I had my last appointment with my doctor.  He again measured my tummy and said again that this baby was just going to be small.  We scheduled an appointment for the next week and said for me to plan on not having this baby early.  If anything, plan on having this baby at least a week late. 
On Saturday, September, 15, 2012 we had spent the day at the Mecham's celebrating September birthdays.  I hadn't felt our little guy move, but didn't think much of it.  That night after going home, I still hadn't felt our little guy move for awhile.  Case and I played a few games of XBOX Kinect and then decided to call the hospital to see what to do, by this time it was about 11:30p.m..  After calling the hospital the friendly nurse convinced me to come in and quickly get things checked out.
I thought our trip to the hospital would be a quick non-stress test and then we could go home and get some sleep.  But when we got to the hospital they had me dress into a gown, at this point I knew something was up. 
The nurses hooked me up to the monitors and was quickly able to see that our little guy was just sleeping (probably resting up for his big debut).  Although the baby was just fine, my blood pressure, on the other hand, was not.  My blood pressure was so high and concerning that they decided they wanted to call my doctor before they released me from the hospital. 
After talking to the on call doctor, she decided to keep me awhile longer to see if my blood pressure would ever go down. 
At about 5:00a.m. the on call doctor decided that my blood pressure was too big of a risk to send me home, and that since I was full term, they would induce me today (Septmeber 16, 2012).  At this point they decided to check to see how far along I was.  I couldn't believe they said I was already at a 5.  I hadn't felt anything at this point.  Case went home to grab my bags and things while I tried too rest, but was way to nervous. 
They hooked me up to an IV, which took the nurse 4 tries before calling the anaesthesiologist to  put it in, and started a Pitocin drip to get things moving along a little faster.  At 6:30 we finally called family to let them know what was going on. 
I decided to get the epidural around 8:00.  I figured sooner or later I would start feeling something and I wanted to get the pain under control before it got too bad.  The anaesthesiologist came back into the room and gave me the epidural. 
At around 10:00 I started feeling EVERYTHING.  Everyone kept telling me that the epidural is amazing and I wouldn't feel a thing after getting it.  I kept pressing the button for more medicine and still nothing, I could still feel EVERTHING.  We called for the anaesthesiologist to come in about 4 times.  He would give me a boost which would help me feel a little better. 
By 1:00 our little guy was ready to enter into this world and by 1:29 our little Mason was born.  I can't even describe the emotions that were going on inside me.  It was the most spiritual experience I had ever experienced. 
After they cleaned our little Mason off, tested him, and weighed him I was able to hold this precious new born baby for the first time.

 

 Our little Mason was a little small, he only weighed 5lbs. 8oz. and was only 17" long.  Because of this, he was given the title of SGA (small for gestational age).  This means his weight was below the 10% percentile.  I was honestly shocked when I found out he was only 5lbs. 8oz. especially when he arrived right on his due date.         
     
Because Mason was so small, he had to have a car seat test done.  He had to sit in his car seat for about 2 hours so doctors could monitor his oxygen levels.  At the last 20 minutes of the test, Mason's oxygen levels plummeted.  Mason didn't pass his car seat test:(.  Our pediatrician advised us not to have Mason in his car seat for long periods of time until he was 2 months old. 
I absolutely loved this time when we had to stay home because Mason couldn't ride in his car seat.    **Mason has hated his car seat ever since he was about 2 months old.  I have come to the conclusion that the reason he hates it so much is because he never got the chance to really get used to it.   

So many people came to show their love and support for us and Mason during our hospital stay.  This picture isn't even everyone that came.  We are so grateful for family and the love they showed to us during this time.   
 
On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 we were able to take Mason home from the hospital.  We had him all packed up in the car seat and ready to leave the hospital, when the doctor request they take my blood pressure one more time.  As luck would have it, my blood pressure was again high and the doctor would not release me from the hospital until it went down.  After another 2 hours of resting and 2 more drinks of the delicious hospital grape juice, I was finally released from the hospital. 
 
Although our lives have been turned upside down in the past 9 months, I wouldn't have it any other way.  I absolutely love being a mom, it's the best job I could ever ask for!!


2 comments: