Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Being a Mother of 2

Being a mother of 2 has definitely been the most rewarding, hardest, happiest, funnest, and difficult experience I have ever had.  Each day is filled with a new adventure, new memories being made, more tears shed, smiles, and laughter.

During the short time that I've been a mother of 2, I've learned to just smile and laugh at the misshapes that happen throughout the day.  I've learned that it's okay to deviate from a schedule, it's okay to let Mason watch a little TV, it's okay if Tanner cries for a few minutes while I attend to Mason's needs and vise versa.  I've learned it's not the end of the world if the house is a mess or if the bed doesn't get made first thing in  the morning, or if dinner is not on the table when Casey gets home from work and I've learned not to panic when both babies are crying.  I've also learned to laugh and smile when Mason throws Tanner's clean clothes in the toilet,when Tanner has a blow out, or when Mason unrolls a brand new roll of toilet paper and throws the roll in the toilet. 

But, most importantly I've learned to cherish every moment.  The good moments and the bad.  Cherish the times both boys want to sit on my lap, the hours I'm awake at night with Tanner, the snuggles, the kisses, the laughing.  And even cherish the moments where I'm on the brink of tears because I can't seem to calm Tanner down or Mason's tipped the garbage can over that was filled with Jello.  Time goes by way too fast, and I know one day I'll look back and wish I could relive these good moments and even the bad ones for just one more day. 

All these things, and many more, I've learned from my heroes, the mothers in my life.
My own mom who has taught me everything I know about being a mother including the little things like what kind of baby lotion to buy, to the big things like how to get Mason sleeping through the night.  She has been there for me through thick and thin when there's no one else I can go to, talk to, or call in times of desperation.  I love my mom.  She's the perfect mom for me and I can't even express in words how grateful I am for her and all she does for me.

My sister, a mother to 5 all under the age of 6.  She amazes me everyday by what she is able to accomplish.  She takes on more projects and does more service then I could ever dream of doing, yet she continues to be able to be one of the best moms I know.  She has shown me that motherhood is a full time job, yet it's worth every minute of every day.  Even when my sister has a million things on her plate she still has time to call me to see how I'm doing and if I need anything.  She sympathizes for me when I haven't gotten much sleep even though I know she's gotten less then me.  My sister is a perfect example of a selfless mother. 

My mother-in-law.  I've been blessed to marry a man with a loving mother.  She piratically raised 5 kids on her own, this feat amazes me more and more each day.
    
Right now, my dream of having a family of 6 seems totally out of the question and even the thought of baby #3 seems impossible.  But, with the example of the mothers in my life, I hope one day I can become the mother that these 3 are to me.   

My boys have made me the happiest I've ever been.  I feel so blessed that I was chosen to be their mom.  And even though each day brings on new and exciting challenges, I wouldn't have it any other way.  

3 comments:

  1. The adjustment from 1 to 2 kids is an adjustment. But from what everyone tells me, any more after 3 and it all blends together. I know when my kids have friends over, although there are more kids, it is way easier to get some stuff done.
    Thanks for sharing your reflections. We truly are blessed to be mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kip, you're a great mom!!! I can't believe Mason tipped over the garbage can with Jello in it... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lin!! I'm slowly teaching Mason that the garbage isn't a play toy. Hopefully he'll catch on soon.

      Delete